YEP Group 1
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YEP Group 1

This is a forum I created for our group, just to give it a try.

You are not connected. Please login or register

research - recycling & waste

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1research - recycling & waste Empty research - recycling & waste Sun May 22, 2011 6:45 pm

henko

Admin

NT recycling, waste management

recycling tins - tried & tested & Nunavut dont think its worth it
idea - schools to have "tin compressors" / money for your tin project

waste: they burn waste & the heat just goes up in smoke
option - to recycle this heat to heat up schools

aeroplanes fly in to bring stock, fly out with waste

some "nature reserves have lots of tin can pollution

toxic waste just gets mixed up with other waste ( bateries/ refrigirators/paint/oil)

http://northernchirp.blogspot.com/2008/06/1000-household-helpers-move-in.html

1,000 Household Helpers Move In
One of the conundrums about living up here is what to do with compost. There are no community-wide composting programs here (there is one small test one for a few households, but nothing we could participate in). It was a shock to start throwing everything in the garbage again after years of getting used to more and more recycling and composting. (It was also sooooo easy to start doing ....) It also seemed crazy not to compost, because the outdoor soil here is almost all rock and gravel (with patches of moss etc on the tundra, but nothing you could garden with).

So, I began to dream of worms. Compost worms. To chew up our compost and give us nice soil in return. I have friends who have used compost worms in apartments, etc. for years, and swear by them. So I became obsessed with getting compost worms. I blogged about this before: I was plotting how to ship up compost worms - send them by air cargo? take them on the plane as 'pets'?

Then some friends up here phoned us to tell us they were moving and wanted their compost worms to go to a good home. So, about 1,000 little household helpers moved in on Saturday. They were a little spooked by the move, so there were a couple wild escape attempts at first, but as soon as we kept the lid off the bin and shone light in, they all burrowed back down into their dark wonderland. It amazes me that they are so efficient, and industrious, and don't even smell! And you can actually HEAR them if you get up close to the box. I'm very excited about their arrival. Go worms go!

Posted by Northern Chirpat 10:06 PM
1 comments:

Maggie said...
Should you need tips about worm wrangling, please don't hesitate to call us and Al can give you advice. Last time our worms made a break for it, Al diagnosed a combination of lack of food and too much moisture. He added a new layer of shredded newspaper to the top. He also highly recommends the book "worms eat my garbage".

Last edited by henko on Tue May 31, 2011 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

henko

Admin

I you propose a recycle project I think its important to read this:
(a local recycling plant for tins/can was stopped in Decemebr 2010 because it is not cost effective...)

http://subzerowaste.wordpress.com/ recycling in Nunavut
http://subzerowaste.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/tally-ho/
http://subzerowaste.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/im-not-the-only-one/

http://www.johntyman.com/arctic/inuit305.html VERY GOOD PICS OF WASTE POLLUTION & INFO
http://www.johntyman.com/arctic/inuit306.html

henko

Admin

http://www.nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/feb14_11wat.html

2010 water use inspection report lowlights

Arctic Bay: Sewage eventually seeps to the ocean from the lagoon.

Baker Lake: Effluent from the sewage lagoon flows into three small lakes in sequence, eventually leading to Baker Lake, the source of the community's drinking water.

The runoff in those lakes appears to be contaminated with spills and leakage from the hazardous waste not properly stored at the landfill.
None of the required annual reports has been filed since 2005.
The inspector threatened legal action against the GN and the municipality. "Such obvious disregard for authority and disrespect for the environment are of great concern to the inspector," stated the report.
Cambridge Bay: Char observed feeding in "green" and stinky stream of sewage outfall into bay.

Cape Dorset: The three-tier lagoon system was in poor shape and at capacity, with each cell overflowing into the next and then down gradient into the ocean.

Clyde River: The hazardous waste landfill is problematic, as "a number of barrels containing waste oils, lubricants and glycol are lying on their sides or leaking."

Hall Beach: Lagoon cell 1 continues to leak and the GN has not yet cleaned up the 2008 release of 13 million litres of raw sewage.

Iglulik: Had to borrow chlorine from Hall Beach as it almost ran out and sewage from the multi-cell lagoon is "continuously seeping through the berm walls," the inspector noted.

Hazardous materials, including old batteries and oxidizing pool chemicals, are not contained and "easily" accessible to the public.
Iqaluit: The landfill is near capacity, with shredded waste piled 25 metres high.

Kimmirut: Sewage continues to discharge into a ditch that drains directly into the ocean

Kugaaruk: At the time of the drinking water inspection, neither the keys to the pumphouse nor the chlorination records could be found and chlorine level testing kits were not being used. "It is unclear if the source water is being treated with chlorine or if bleach is being added," states the report.

Kugluktuk: The new lagoon liner has "very large" bubbles under it, which may threaten its integrity, and the lagoon liner is not sealed in a number of places and was possibly installed upside down.

Pangnirtung: The water treatment plant is not properly treating the sewage as it is working above its designed capacity

Pond Inlet: The sewage lagoon has been leaking for the last two to three years and the decant structure is frozen and inoperable.

Repulse Bay: Because waste in the landfill has not been burned or buried in more than three years, waste has been piling up. "This is a serious health risk and wildlife attractant," the inspector noted.

Source: Indian and Northern Affairs Canada

5research - recycling & waste Empty Re: research - recycling & waste Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Rici

Admin

So there are many places where sewage is seeping into ocean or lakes. But what can we do against this problem...isn´t it to big to start there to change something. If we want to we have to make the government or the people aware of this. It have to become public.

6research - recycling & waste Empty thanks rici! Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:53 am

henko

Admin

@Rici - I agree, we will not be able to do anything about it in our time there.

general polution:
thats why I suggested we form (or join) a facebook "pressure group" asking canada/nunavut government for " Return to sender" law . anybody who exports goods to nunavut must return the empty container with waste. thats the only way they are going to get rid of the waste.

7research - recycling & waste Empty Re: research - recycling & waste Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:53 am

Rici

Admin

You´re totally right Henko=)
But we only can try to change this...I mean we can not make them pass such a law. They have to agree with us. Do you understand wath I mean, I don´t really know how to say it in english:D

8research - recycling & waste Empty Re: research - recycling & waste Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:04 am

Zula

Admin

Why do you think we can not make them pass such a law? And what if during the Expedition selected Young Explorers carry out some research using biomarkers, what if they make natives aware of this problem and finally create a Facebook group, write a petition, ask government? I'm a hyper-optimist and do believe we can save the world, yes I do. Because if you take something, there is more chance for a success than if you give it up without trying.

https://yepgroup1.forumpolish.com

9research - recycling & waste Empty Re: research - recycling & waste Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Rici

Admin

Zula: You have convinced me! We have to make the locals aware of it and make it public, so they will have no chance and must to make such a law.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum