YEP Group 1
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YEP Group 1

This is a forum I created for our group, just to give it a try.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Group members proposals for possible projects

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

henko

Admin

@ Phoebe/Hang - thanks for posting the youth council details. Hope you get a response from them soon!

I got a response from :
April Diamond Dutheil
Nanisiniq: Arviat History Project
University of British Columbia, Canada
aprildutheil@hotmail.com | 604.822.3447 | Nanisiniq.tumblr.com

Tamar (local Youth in Arviat history project) choice:
> Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 00:00:09 -0500
> Subject: Re: FW: help with Nunavut project proposal
> From: hivulipta@gmail.com
> To: april.diamond.dutheil@hotmail.com
> CC: pointguard_31@hotmail.com; curtis_kuunuaq@hotmail.com; jordankonek_12@hotmail.com; a_owingayak10@hotmail.com
>
> They all look really good, like the most on field trip, comes
> spring/summer season, everyone wants to be out. Good luck Henko and
> good luck with your discovery, you will never forget the true north
> strong and free. Enjoy your visit and have fun too.

This is the average response from all the locals - go out in the land!!

Maybe we should consider to develop the "out in the land" idea more than the other ideas?

Michael said we are visitors (tourists) to a culture (out in the land)

WWF 10 principles for Arctic tourism:
1. make tourism (us ! ) & conservation (nunavut reserve ?) compatable
2. support the preservation of wilderness & bio-diversity ( visit a nunavut natural park/reserve ?)
3. use natural resources in a sustainable way ( travel/hike/fish/hunt responsibly ?)
4. minimise consumption, waste & pollution ( catch /hunt only what is necessary/ return all packaging/ leave no trace of waste behind ?)
5. respect local cultures ( learn history & promote the need of conservation to Inuit / do as the locals do? )
6. respect historic & scientific sites ( visit these sites in nature parks / do not disturb it/ learn ?)
7. arctic community should benefit from tourism ( money - pay local guide/interpreter/ park fees + take local youth / elders with yeps out into the land - cultural exchange)
8. trained staff is the key to responsible tourism - use skilled guides / survival/ local knowledge )
9. make your trip an opportunity to learn about the arctic ( [i]out in land/ learn from youth & [/i]elders, guide )
10. follow safety rules ( learn from local guides about traditional survival methods)

Does this idea not sound more realistic as a project? (refer to Michael's mail )

Rici

Admin

I think our project includes most of the 10 points:
+ fieldtrips
+ outdoor activities
+ clean ups, make aware of waste...
+ culture exchange (last evening)

It´s exactly this what we want to show/say them...we behaive like tourists automatically.

Zula

Admin

And I think that the Expedition and our project fits perfectly this Arctic tourist decalogue! Even point 7 talking about benefits from tourism is completd: we will help the region Smile

https://yepgroup1.forumpolish.com

henko

Admin

OK, but can we not emphasize the fieldtrip more (2-3 days) sharing it with "back to the land" traditionsal locals.
We can still add the community stuff (more aimed @ "modern" youth ) to make the project longer?

Is the expedition not like 20 days ? i think there should be more days with locals & learning from them (not just 3 days - we must just convince the Team ? Aim our project @ traditional elders + modern youth ?

henko

Admin

just a thought - my impression is that yeps will travel/ stay on the Pangaea during expedition. doing activities in the town/communities will mean travelling to & from boat @ all times.... unless the team stay in town (cost? or camp? where in town?) or hotel (add cost to budget)

fieldtrip = tents (MNP ?), travel by foot, easier to organise
I will contact the Nunavut Parks board today about park / guide fees

I dont know about you girls, but i like the idea of showing the youth that there is money in conservation (tourists)
more & more . The waste topic we can still incorporate with "leave no trace" & return all waste from trip back to community?

Zula

Admin

Do you find it possible to use sledge dogs during this fieldtrip? I'm sure we would have to sleep in tents (does anyone know how are sleeping places organized during Summer Camps of Inuit families? As far as I know they sleep in tents as well, so they should have some arctic camping equipment).
And what about cleaning up the route of our trip?

henko

Admin

summer = sledge dogs? i am not sure how they use dogs in summer ? could be great

i emailed the Nunavut parks board + tourist information : hope to hear about organising field guides,etc. I also asked Saskia (still waiting for reply) about MNP tents, equipment.

Zula

Admin

I'm afraid you're right... It is not possible to use sledge in summer. Silly me! I was to excited to learn how they work with dogs and didn't hink of this obvious obstacle Wink
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19329747 - here are some very interesting (to me) information on physique of sledge dogs in Northern and Western Greenland. They even speak about thinning of muscle fibers in summer! Smile
Cool, do you think there is anyone more to contact?

http://www.dcmp.org/guides/9259.pdf - this is, I think, a draft for a lesson about Inuit traditional survival skills

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum