YEP Group 1
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YEP Group 1

This is a forum I created for our group, just to give it a try.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Group members proposals for possible projects

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

henko

Admin

Can we all post our individual project proposals here for discussion? I think we need to post enough info on our proposals for all to see exactly what, how, where you see happening.

project proposal to include:

subject

problems & needs

strategy & solution

2Group members proposals for possible projects Empty Henko's project proposal Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:19 pm

henko

Admin

Arctic Active Aqua

Inuit lives revolve around water . Drowning is the cause of death of many Inuit. Water is the source of Life.
My idea is to use water as the base theme for different topics ( water pollution / safety/ water purification/ sanitation / water fun for healthy living / use water sport for social interaction & exposing kids to enviornmental issues / )

The Arctic Active Aqua Project aims to be a Social Outreach project to :

• • build An eco-friendly community
    • build Inuit youth self-esteem
    • encourage An active lifestyle
    • encourage through Rolemodel examples
    • build Confident Inuit youth as future leaders
    • build Lasting international relationships

The Social Outreach can be Before, During & After the YEP expedition to Nunavut through:

• • YEP’s school – Nunavut school contact ( giving same Geography / Biology lesson tasks & exchange it afterwards)
      • Pen Pal Program with YEPs ( to help Inuit with English/ French as 2nd language & make the Inuit youth feel that they have a role in society)
      • Invitations to join YEP community website / faceboook

Education can be incorporated by:

Fun activities during expedition: ( incorporate traditional knowledge)

o Water :
    Water safety ( many YEPs swim )
    • Basic lifesaving techniques Ice safety
      • Boat safety - PFD / kayak turning techniques when capsized
      • hypothermia treatment

Water Fun ( healthy living)
    • Aqua aerobics for adults
      • Fun water games to make kids water safe
      • Pool game equipment sponsorships
      • Kayak exploring (use as transport to field trip)
      • Learning traditional water based hunting/ fishing
      • Organising YEP Extreme Explorer Team event (fun way to get kids active in a group)
      o Tri-athlon ( bike, swim(indoor pool), run) or Traditional events such as "spear a target/ catch a fish/ trap a bird " )
      o Survivor game

[b]Water as source of Life
    (Inter-active talks @ schools )
    • Fresh vs bottled water (pollution)
      • Hydropower options in local areas
      • Poster project on water
      • Sanitation lessons including Geberit technologies
      • Exhibition about water / energy consumption

o Global warming:
  • Melting Arctic Ice
    Human Polar Bear Ice Swim ( 5degree Celsius ocean swim to raise awareness on effects of global warming – people can now swim there)
    Arctic Art on Ice ( create a work of art that will “disappear” with the melting ice it stands on – get before, during, after photos & post in media)
     Changing ocean currents due to warmer water temperature
    Message in a bottle ( YEPs & Inuit youth put paper in recycled bottles with position co-ordinates of launch site & asking for “finder” of bottle to contact them with “find” position co-ordinates. Also have a personal message for finder in the bottle.)

o Recycling
  • Inter-active fun activities @ school
    • Making art
    • Presents
    • Stuff you can use @ home
     Organise recycle bins & tin compressors @ school
     Litter bins in streets
     How to use recycled materials in building construction
     Sport equipment ( YEPs schools/ clubs to donate to Nunavut )

o Waste management
  • Geberit adive on recycling water/waste
     Food waste worm bins ( to provide compost for growing fresh plant/food)
     Poo Power (don’t laugh, it’s a possibility ! Dog & human poo can be used for methane based energy sources in stead of current diesel energy…)

o Greenhouse
  • Create a community wellness centre where they can inter-act & see the fruit of their labour & feel good about themselves
     Grow fresh produce ( a very scarce & expensive item in Nunavut)

Problems:
  • Previous recycling projects have failed ( not high enough financial rewards , recycled goods need to be flown out of Nunavut )
    • All goods/ packaging is brought into Nunavut , few goes out. There is no manufacturing plants in Nunavut, so who will use recycled materials?
    • Inuit kids don’t like structured learning
    • Not active in mornings (play outside till 2am in morning during summer)
    • Pool availability ( swimming is VERY popular in Nunavut)
    • Pool game equipment
    • Greenhouse cost of building ( seek Nunavut Dept of Agriculture government subsidy )

Needs:
  • Local Community Recreational Officers to help YEPs in planning project activities
    • Pool fun games equipment
    • Geberit & water posters
    • Active YEPs with swim / lifesaving / ice swim experience
    • Fun recycling ideas
    • Tin compressors
    • Worms
    • Litter bins

How to raise Public Awareness:
Internationally:
o
  • host extreme events in Arctic – art / sport ( media loves it! )
    o YEP website
     Logo / art competition for Project
     T-shirt design contest
     Photo contest
    o Facebook
    o YEPs local schools (geography & biology class projects)
    o Media ( tv, radio, newspapers, blogs, travel- , sport & eco magazines )

Nunavut:
o
  • Posters in community
    o Local radio
    o Facebook page
    o School / PenPal Program
    o Inuit schools logo art contest for project

Fundraising:
Internationally
o
  • YEP website to get an On-line donation link to specific projects ( then ALL YEPs can contribute to a project & feel part of the Pangaea outreach . The On-line donation link on YEP community homepage to look like a “wish well” with target amount @ top & donation progress shown )
    o YEP individual fundraising events
    o Pangaea sponsors
    o Speedo ( for swim goggles for Inuit kids)

Nunavut:
o
  • “Bust & Bail” event in Nunavut
    o Local businesses for example
     Arctic co-op
     Sealift
     Mining companies
     Nunavut Government

Well, this is what I suggest
Team Wayartok - I can't wait to hear your ideas ! Hope to hear from you soon!

Last edited by henko on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:29 am; edited 2 times in total

phoebe

Admin

Project plan
3R FUN & RUN

A. INTRODUCTION:

1.Reality – challenge and chance
The geography of Nunavut: harsh weather, nearly out of modern technology…
The people and their customs that they live dependently on nature…
The youth is very active and inquisitive…

2. Objects:
Children in primary school and high school
Their families and surrounding

3. Purposes:
- Raising the awareness towards environment of the society in general, as well as the youngsters in particular.
- Helping environmental campaigns through the method of 3R: reuse, reduce, recycle.

4. Significance:
- Helping to nurture a green generation, who care about environmental problems and support green industry.
- Not only can the children and youth approach some environment issues, but they can also cultivate their imagination and other skills such as team building, debating…

B. CONTENT

Series of activities for youth

1/ GREEN CLASS:

+ For primary school:

Environmantal game class: class is organized with game, intergrating basic environmental knowledge about climate change, animal disctinsion…

Fun recycle class: The children are taught to made cute items such as picture frame, toys, decoration stuff… from waste materials by themselves.

+ For high school:

Movies day: students watch some environmental film, after that, they need to discuss abt problem highlighted in the film.

Field trip day: Students can experience time in factories where people dispose garbage. They need to feel the dirty atmosphere, smoke, terrible smell… what happen if someday the garbage is so huge that these factories cannot deal with. It is urgent to reduce the using of objects.

Garbage day: this is a day to let students go outside and collect all the garbage, classify them. Then, we provide students some equipment such as paint, brush, glue… they can freely create masterpieces from garbage, exhibit to community, and even fundraise.
….

2/ MONTTAINAI event

Mottainai (pronounced Moht-tai-neye) is a Japanese term meaning "a sense of regret concerning waste or resource when its value is not properly utilized." The expression "Mottainai!" can be uttered alone as an exclamation when something useful, such as food or time, is wasted, meaning roughly "Oh, what a waste!"

We organize a hall where people bring their stuff they don’t need any more – stuff are used but still in good condition – and exchange to another.

In order to exchange more easily, we can evaluate things depending on their quality and usage possibility. We allot to the owners cards which is equivalent to things’ value, these cards mean “money”.

For example:

Farmer X can bring his old plough to the hall, because he already bought a new one. His plough after evaluated is marked with B, he receives card B.
Student Y needs a plough to take care of his garden, but he doesn’t have enough money to buy a new one. Besides, he still maintains a lot of textbooks. In the Mottainai hall, his books are signed B and he is distributed card B.
Mother Z is preparing for her child’s new schoolyear, and she also dislikes her teapot after using it for a long time. She brings her teapot which is marked with A (=2B) to the event and receives card A or 2 cards B.

In the Mottainai Hall:

Student Y takes the old plough and pays the farmer his card B.
Mother Z enjoys the textbook and pays the student her card B.
Farmer X thinks the new teapot will make his wie happy and pays the mother his 2 cards B.
In the end, everbody is satisfied with the new goods, and especially they don’t need to spend money.

Mottainai is very popular in Asian countries, and people feel relaxed to receive new stuff and get rid of some boring things in their house.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry I need more time to research about activities >.<
But my ideal project is organize series of activities for youth and children, focusing on 3R.
[b]

4Group members proposals for possible projects Empty use recycling within a bigger project? Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:21 am

henko

Admin

Hang - thanks for adding your idea!

My opinion is that we cannot focus only on recycling. My research has shown that unless canada government provides subsidies for waste removal, its not going to make much of a difference... ( I spoke to locals on this)

Maybe we should rather focus on the waste dumps & how they dispose of their waste ? ( toxic stuff is mixed with all / diesel spills out on ground / ...).

I like the idea of exchanging your unwanted goods - but in Nunavut people leave everything outside their cabins in any case & others just take it if they need it.( I spoke to locals on this) MAybe we can propose that exchange market idea for smaller household goods?

Your fieldtrip to factory proposal ?? in Nunavut there is no manufacturing factories? Pollution comes from diesel pumps for heat & burning of waste.

The movies will work. Just remember they allready know how climate change affects them - they are right there! topics to focus on what they can do ( within their specific lifestyle ) & what other countries are doing to help them.

Art : give them a fun challenge to build an Inukshuk from recycled material?

Clean-up - always a good idea & definitely needed there!

My suggestion is to use some of your ideas within a bigger project ( future YEPs who go there for Pangaea projects will propably go for 2 weeks - so you need more topics to focus on ?

PS - You think my project proposal is too general ? DO you mean too many topics covered or too little detail to the "how to"?

If you carefully look at the various Pangaea Core Projects as on the website , you will see that much more than 1 topic is covered during a project.

My idea is to use water as the base theme for different topics ( water pollution / safety/ water purification/ sanitation / water fun for healthy living / use water sport (swim/kayak/fish) for social interaction & exposing kids to environmental issues / ). & off course to give exposure to Pangaea sponsor GEBERIT !

Personally I feel the kids will enjoy our company most while "out on the land" . They want to be active & do something.

Last edited by henko on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total

phoebe

Admin

My opinion is that we cannot focus only on recycling. My research has shown that unless canada government provides subsidies for waste removal, its not going to make much of a difference... ( I spoke to locals on this)
----> I focus on 3r: reduce, reuse, recycle, not only recycle

Maybe we should rather focus on the waste dumps & how they dispose of their waste ? ( toxic stuff is mixed with all / diesel spills out on ground / ...).
---> I will take ur advance. thanks

I like the idea of exchanging your unwanted goods - but in Nunavut people leave everything outside their cabins in any case & others just take it if they need it.( I spoke to locals on this) MAybe we can propose that exchange market idea for smaller household goods?
---> do locals let their old clothes outside. You know, we have many boring things at home, but we still keep it as a habit. However, when u hear abt a event where u can exchange to another new stuff, u have power to remove it.

Your fieldtrip to factory proposal ?? in Nunavut there is no manufacturing factories? Pollution comes from diesel pumps for heat & burning of waste.

---> I mean field trips to factory where they dispose the garbage. after visiting the site,students will feel urgent to reduce their using things. the more they reduce things and goods, the more these factories reduce their activities.

The movies will work. Just remember they allready know how climate change affects them - they are right there! topics to focus on what they can do ( within their specific lifestyle ) & what other countries are doing to help them.
---> not only films abt climate change, but we can also show films abt energy, ecology... because we need raise youth's awareness on more environmental issues, they should approach to problems in other countries, not just in the Pole.

My suggestion is to use some of your ideas within a bigger project ( future YEPs who go there for Pangaea projects will propably go for 2 weeks - so you need more topics to focus on ?
---> thax. maybe we can mix our project together ^o^

PS - You think my project proposal is too general ?

If you carefully look at the various Pangaea Core Projects as on the website , you will see that much more than 1 topic is covered during a project.

My idea is to use water as the base theme for different topics ( water pollution / safety/ water purification/ sanitation / water fun for healthy living / use water sport (swim/kayak/fish) for social interaction & exposing kids to environmental issues / ). & off course to give exposure to Pangaea sponsor GEBERIT

---> I completely know that u focus on Water issues, but can u outline some main activities and how it is carried out? (like my proposal)
Cause I feel quiet confused when reading ur proposal. Or Sorry if I can fully acknowledge it.

6Group members proposals for possible projects Empty more thoughts Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 am

henko

Admin

Hi Hang Smile

OK, I will try again!

did you have a look @ these links that i posted for you?

http://www.johntyman.com/arctic/inuit306.html

http://www.johntyman.com/arctic/inuit305.html

please have a look 1st & then consider again?

the locals have several "clean-ups" in summer. We can also help with that.

The feedback I got :
they dont want litter bins in streets (attract animals)
food waste gets burnt outside house as soon as possible
all else goes to dump site

What I suggest is to be part of a pressure group to encourage Canada/Nunavut Government to make a "Return to Sender"-law . Every person who ships/exports goods into Nunavut MUST return waste in the empty containers, Its the only way to remove waste. So either we start a Facebook Page or seek & join another?

I think it's a real challenge to plan any project without knowing exactly where the team will be going.
Every community have different facilities & shortages

at the time of the expedition, it will be summer
the kids play outside till 2hoo in the morning
they dont want to do too many things inside then

** Considering Michael's e-mail of this morning & feedback from MNP Yeps:

the kids will want to spend time with us
the will want to be active with us
they want a change from their everyday boring routine
they dont like "school-like" activities ( it does not excite them)
we should make a small difference in their life ( but be considerate of their traditions )
YEPs will probably not go there in future again
we need to give exposure for MH + Sponsors

Inuit kids:
we know they like sports ( but there never is enough equipment)
they use the internet a lot
they like playing in teams
they need to have fun by being active ( to encourage a healthy lifestyle / against alcohol abuse )

If we consider the above:
We should be active with the kids ( YEP + Inuit sports events / fieldtrip - use sport as a way to teach dedication, commitment , life skills)
We should listen to what they like ( watergames in areas with pool / sports )
We should do things by their traditions ( maybe arrange a cultural concert ? )
We should try to find a way to have a longer lasting project (- I suggest the PenPal / YEPs school- school)
We should give Geberit exposure by doing water issue tasks
We should do something EXTREME to get international media interested

I don't want to repeat everything in my proposal - maybe you can read through the e-mail feedback from locals (i posted it here: https://yepgroup1.forumpolish.com/t36-research-email-replies-from-inuit-locals

Once we know @ camp where the expedition is going, the sport activity can be planned with the local school/ recreation officer. But we can raise the idea of sport equipment sponsorship / recycling yep sport equipment

I realise we will not be able to start the greenhouse idea. (i posted it because there is an interest in it, but it will be a longterm project not possible for us / but maybe the waste worms can work - maybe just add it as an interesting option ?)

hope this helps? Zula will post this afternoon after school Smile
I also got Rici's home telephone nr - will give to Zula to phone ( she is closest to germany )

Zula

Admin

Dear Team Wayartok!
I’m sorry for not meeting the deadline established by Phoebe – thank you for your understanding. I would like to present you my project proposal. Very Happy I hope it will be clear&understable, I tried to keep the pattern that Henko used in his proposal. Give me a few minutes more and I will post my thoughts on your proposals Smile

1) My research summary:
First of all, Nunavut is a very differentiated region when talking about capabilities and means of its communities. There are no road connecting any communities. There are incredible differences between the capital of the region – Iqualuit – and ‘settlements’ without infrastructure. The reality of living in Nunavut has changed during last 50 years and this was a rapid change. Traditional community life was based on strong family bonds, a typical occupation was hunting, fur trading. People used melted ice to cook, hunted animals were the source of not only meat and fur, but also fat, bones, thongs. Communities were self-sufficient. Currently Iqualuit becomes a well-developed city, that attracts youths from all over the Arctic, gives opportunities of self-development, creates employments. It establishes a trend to follow the American/European culture. It is an opposition to the traditional Inuit lifestyle, which changed due to the unification of the civilized world (globalization).
The ecosystem is no longer stable and it affects animals live a lot. Polar bears give birth and hunt on sea ice. Less winter sea ice means that female polar bears have to go longer without food, which impacts their fat stores, and, in turn, their reproductive success. For the seals not only does sea ice provide a home for resting, giving birth and raising pups, it is also a feeding ground for some of them. There is also the case of marine food web based on ice algae – adapted to different water temperature. It all threatens to collapse the traditional for Inuits way of nourishment: fishing and sealing in the region of Nunavut.
Moreover, European boycotts caused a decrease in prices of seal fur and thus other export goods from Nunavut.
Young people have now to get an education and start mental work, which is contradictory to their tradition (I’m extremely sorry for the way it sounds, but I didn’t know how to express it differently – language difficulties Wink). Some families can not send their children to schools because they need kids to work (poverty level in Nunavut is extremely high, in 2001 virtually half of Nunavut households experienced food insecurity without sufficient food to eat because of a lack of money), other live in places deprived of access to education. Parents have troubles with fitting into the new yuppie-dominated world of computers, sterile offices and advanced education.
A huge social problem of Nunavut is unemployment (about 80-90%) There are several social organizations to fight it (for example ‘Roundtable for Poverty Reduction’ who I contacted, but didn’t get any feedback until now), but they don’t seem to be very effective. Why? While carrying out my research on Nunavut, I discovered that most of jobs that are thought to be well-paid are these in governmental structures. And here is where my question comes: is a community with such an unemployment rate and lack of money able to create another association, organization, department? ‘Like it or not, Nunavut’s government just doesn’t have enough money to do what ought to be done.’ ‘So far, the creation of Nunavut has brought economic benefits to a select few – those who have been lucky enough to find lucrative jobs and contracts within the new land claim bureaucracies and within the Nunavut government. Many of these are non-Inuit newcomers.’ With poor and expensive transportation links most jobs are in the service industry (teachers, nursing jobs, working in local stores) and working directly for the Nunavut government.
Some young people still want to pursue traditional life styles which means living off the land (hunting, trapping etc.) but most of young people who get jobs end up in the service industry.
The next case I would like to discuss is the role of schools in Nunavut. Together with Henko we contacted various organizations (more or less fortunately) and at least in my feeling, principals of local schools were most involved and positive about our project. They seemed to have a great sense of duty and to be devoted to their job. Schools reunion youths from different settlements and give them the tools to earn a living in future, adult life (by education). As far as my knowledge is concerned children learn at school subjects like maths, literature or biology, but also technical skills – for example assorted shop courses
(woodworking, metal working (welding), and electrical courses). The education is provided in Inuktitut or Inuinnaqtun (depends on the community) and English or French. Poor students attendance is a huge problem: the average attendance in kindergarten to 12 grade in all of Nunavut is approximately 70%, but for one of the schools I contacted it was just 52%. Public education is fully paid by the government of Nunavut. Only 25% of students end up graduating, most kids drop out by grade 8.
With the highest birth rate in Canada and the fact that over half of Nunavummiut are under 25 it is necessary to popularize and allow education to more youths, but also to their parents who have only inadequate job skills.
How to do it? Eva Aariak, second premier of Nunavut, says: ‘Inuit children need to learn in an environment that nurtures their culture and language’. I would like to add that this: Inuit children must become proud of their culture and history, become eager to share it. Schools should promote a healthy style of living, educate not only in the direction of knowledge that is provided to kids all over the world but also about their motherland, ecosystem protection, it should introduce educational programs on waste segregation, water safety, physical activities. School should also teach skills that are important for the parents, so they estimate and value these institutions. I like the idea of free meals in school canteens as a way of financial aid for families and a factor in improving the image of schools. To get out children from the general atmosphere of depression (another common problem of Inuits: substance abuse, crimes, suicide) we must give them something to work on, something worth devoting their time to.

2) Aims of our project:
- Popularizing education in Nunavut
- Encouraging self-esteem in young Inuits, improving their national pride, upbringing future leaders
- Teaching useful skills
- Introducing ecological education to education system

3) Who shall we involve in our project?
- Young Explorers community (Pen Pal program, cultural exchange programs)
- Schools from all over the world to exchange knowledge
- Travelers magazines from all over the world – it is necessary that European (and not only!) countries learn more about the region and culture of Nunavut to have a better understanding of Inuits actions

4) Education&school popularizing can be incorporated by:
- Fun activities during expedition (same as Henko proposed, but with some further modifications, I think that all of the ideas presented shall be discussed)
- Teaching useful skills – water safety, dog sledges, arts (parents could be invited to look and learn as well)
- Financial aid for families by distributing free meals at school canteens for children in need
- Animals-care program

5) How to raise public awareness?
a) Internationally:
- Media (artificial environment of Internet, TV, radio…)
- Traveler’s magazines
- Young Explorers community website: art competition, events patronized by this project…
- Schools from all over the world (conducted by Young Explorers and their friends)
b) In Nunavut:
- Schools
- Local sources of information: journals, newspapers, governmental centers
- Posters

https://yepgroup1.forumpolish.com

Zula

Admin

Hey guys!
First of all: thank you a lot for the work you have done. I appreciate it very much.
Secondly: what should we do now? I suggest: reading all the project proposals, drawing best ideas, linking our ideas (let's throw away what's unrealistic or inept and save some good concepts) and finally creating a proposal that would satisfy the whole group.

@Henko:

-I love the idea of a base team for different topics. As a water maniac I would go for it Smile (and don't forget about Geberit as one of our main sponsors!)
- our goals are very common, we both want to create an eco-friendly community, arouse self-esteem in young Inuits and all this by fun activities.
- I think that leading water safety programs requires certificated skills. Young Explorers themselves can not be instructors for Inuits - we would have to involve a professional which is not a bad idea, but an expensive one for sure.
- role model examples, Pen Pal & school exchange programs, all your fundraising ideas - I like a lot
- greenhouse could work only as a school project - there is no tradition and opportunity for agriculture, any greenhouses would be ineffective = additional cost for poor communities and no income
- warm composters - remember what Moshi Kotierk wrote? "There is a strong cultural bias against insects and creepy-crawlies." I doubt this will be successful...
- Extreme sport event - it will attract media for sure, but isn't it too dangerous? How do see it? Who would organize it? Young Explorers, Speedo, other companies?
- "What I suggest is to be part of a pressure group to encourage Canada/Nunavut Government to make a "Return to Sender"-law . Every person who ships/exports goods into Nunavut MUST return waste in the empty containers, Its the only way to remove waste."It is an essential issue of Nunavut and what you proposed seems to be the only solution now. However, we all realise this is something we will not reach during the Expedition, but we might try to raise interest in this field by writing to various magazines and prepare a background for a serious action.

@Phoebe:
- Fun recycle always work and you have a lot of experience in this field!
- As Henko said, Mottainai already works in Nunavut by that Inuits leave everything outside their cabins.
- As Henko wrote, there are no factories or real waste disposals in Nunavut, but a trip to a place degraded due to junk would be great I believe. On the other hand, young Inuits are used to a landscape of rubbish - will it be moving for them?
- movies about environmental problems of various places in the world could be linked with international exchange program (schools, Pen Pals), don't you think?

9Group members proposals for possible projects Empty my thoughts on Zula's ideas Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:32 pm

henko

Admin

Thanks for posting Zula! It took some me some time & please correct me if i am wrong, but i have summarized your thoughts:

* you want Inuit to be proud of their culture & to share it ( I agree, therefore I proposed the YEP social outreach
* promote health living ( I agree , therefore i proposed combining Sports with out outreach)
* you like free meals @ schools ( I dont agree, have personal experience of just giving for free . I do not believe you help people that way. If parents are jobless, they can still help with preparing of soup/food @ soup kitchens and then parents feel as if they help as well. There are several charity free food projects in Nunavut - I posted links to all of them in forum . We cannot start something like this in the 3 -4 days the yep expedition will be in a community)
*kids need to have a purpose (task to look forward to) - I agree, therefore I propose the YEP school - Inuit school project where they can look fwd to hearing from international school & share thoughts / PenPal Program

Zula

Admin

You're right, this is what I was thinking of! I would like to respond to the idea of free meals at schools. I realise it is impossible to start such a project during the Expedition (to make it more difficult, it will be summer break in Nunavut then Wink). I wrote about it, because I thought it would increase the attractiveness of schools among parents of young Inuits - I really think it is a huge problem. Do you believe that only about 70% of kids attend school at any stage?
I would like all the activities proposed to be patronized by schools in order to make people appreciate these institutions. We might combine your idea of general 'water-education' with my goal: the popularization of schools. What do you think about it? Is there anything you would propose for parents?
What about organising educational activities for every generation? Grandparents teach one skill, parents another, children show them how to use modern technologies etc?

henko

Admin

If we consider Michaels email of today (yeps not going back to remote Nunavut in future) , but only spending a couple of days in a community ( we still dont know where/ what facilities they have) then:

let us focus on:

1. Social outreach

Short term:
]Yep youth - Inuit youth (during expedition , to spend time together & learn from each other)
* Sport activity - inuit youth LOVE sports , YEPs to participate with them & promote a healthy lifestyle & build their self esteem- sport is an universal language . The specific details/ sport to be decided on once the YEPs know which community they will visit & research their facilities & equipment. It can be water based, hockey, baseball, tabletennis or whatever) google Kugluktuk Grizzlies - a movie was made about Mr mcKeenan's school teams - participate in sport & then kids get trips/ freebies & also learn good teamwork , but only if your school attendance is high enough)

Long term relationship:
Yep school - Inuit school contact with shared tasks & feedback( we allready have many local contacts between Zula & I)

PenPalProgram - Inuit school English 2nd language class + YEPs ( we can put yeps in contact with schools)

YEP website - Inuit Arctic college students

2. Environmental outreach:

a. Clean-up with local kids
* field trip with Inuit kids ( part of social outreach, but exchanging their traditional survival skills)
* start a facebook group - "Return to sender" ( asking Nunavut government to make law forcing everybody who export goods to Nunavut, to return their empty
* 3R program @ school (+ maybe dumpsite visit?)
* water / sanitation/ pollution/ hydro-power talks with Geberit help

b. Global warming awareness ( more for international media & awareness)
- Ice swim ( google Lewis Pugh , but if I go on expedition, I can also do this with other YEPs doing the education/reporting part )
- Art on Ice ( creating art work on floating ice, when ice melts, the art also disappear. before/during/after photos posted on web)
- Help research on changing ocean currents with "Message in a bottle" project.

Fundraising:
I strongly propose a Wishing Well fundraising link to the YEP website.
Also a more inter-active YEP website during expeditions (for Inuit/ YEPs to ask questions for each other)

Ideas we leave out:(these will in any case be more supported by foreigners in Nunavut)
Greenhouse ( cost/time)
waste worms ( against traditional culture)
"school" type activities ( all teachers we contacted, said this. Go back to the land...)

What do you think?

Zula

Admin

I am convinced more and more that we should ask Michael for some features about the Expedition: to which community will we go? How many days will we spend there? In the same time, I know it may still be uncertain and that after the camp selected Young Explorers will have a moment to work on the project idea.
Nevermind, let's try to make a decision! (I highlited my comments to your summary)

1. Social outreach

Short term:
Yep youth - Inuit youth (during expedition , to spend time together & learn from each other how will we contact them? how will we make them know we are coming? Do you think this can be arranged using local schools? <- again, it shows that school can coordinate cool projects)
* Sport activity - inuit youth LOVE sports , YEPs to participate with them & promote a healthy lifestyle & build their self esteem- sport is an universal language . The specific details/ sport to be decided on once the YEPs know which community they will visit & research their facilities & equipment. It can be water based, hockey, baseball, tabletennis or whatever) google Kugluktuk Grizzlies - a movie was made about Mr mcKeenan's school teams - participate in sport & then kids get trips/ freebies & also learn good teamwork , but only if your school attendance is high enough Full agreement)

Long term relationship:
Yep school - Inuit school contact with shared tasks & feedback( we allready have many local contacts between Zula & I)

PenPalProgram - Inuit school English 2nd language class + YEPs ( we can put yeps in contact with schools remember it's not only English but French as well, what makes the project even more interesitng)

YEP website - Inuit Arctic college students (project's theme more developed? a project of research on ecosystem of Nunavut, biomarkers, skills that students learn at college?)

2. Environmental outreach:

a. Clean-up with local kids
* field trip with Inuit kids ( part of social outreach, but exchanging their traditional survival skills)This one I love! It might also include sledge dogs!
* start a facebook group - "Return to sender" ( asking Nunavut government to make law forcing everybody who export goods to Nunavut, to return their empty shall we contact the government? When will we start it? Before the camp?
* 3R program @ school (+ maybe dumpsite visit?)
* water / sanitation/ pollution/ hydro-power talks with Geberit help

b. Global warming awareness ( more for international media & awareness)
- Ice swim ( google Lewis Pugh , but if I go on expedition, I can also do this with other YEPs doing the education/reporting part )
- Art on Ice ( creating art work on floating ice, when ice melts, the art also disappear. before/during/after photos posted on web)
- Help research on changing ocean currents with "Message in a bottle" project.
- Articles to traveler's magazines - directly appealing to people who seem to be aware of Climate Changes and to be interested in other cultures to provoque a better understanding of Inuits and 'bring their world' to others

Fundraising:
I strongly propose a Wishing Well fundraising link to the YEP website.
Also a more inter-active YEP website during expeditions (for Inuit/ YEPs to ask questions for each other) to be discussed Smile

Rici

Admin

It is a good idea to focus on this parts..some thougts of me:

1. Social outreach

Sport and is one of the most important part of the project, I think, to get in contact with them end win their faith.

2. Environmental outreach

After we know the locals a bit and they know how we act, we can start environmental outreaches.
The idea to show them films about environmental problems outside of theri region ist great.

I don´t understand the "Art on ice" - do you will biuld something with ice like a statue or is it something like "ice swim" ( environmental problem)?

Why do you want to make the government aware of this project or of the details of the project...I think there are so many communities of other things in Canada/Nunavut, that are not really interested in a new project ( we don´t know at all if it will stay after the YEPs aren´t there anymore).

Zula

Admin

I'll try to explain it to you in place of Henko (it is his idea): people build sculptures out of ice and snow and take pictures of it every day. They observe the ice melting, their sculpture disappearing - it refers in a symbolic way to Global Warming impact on Nunavut: thinning ice, animals migrations etc.

Rici

Admin

Thanks Zula for explaning. It is a good idea and interesting to see how fast the ice melts. But isn´t it very complicated to build such a ice sculpture, therefor a a specialist is needed, or not? OK it don´t have to be perfect, but you have to work with saws and hammers....

Rici

Admin

One of the biggest problem is that we have not enough time there! Somehow we have to make aware of this/OUr project in advance. We can´t start to meke promotion of it, when we are arriving there. Till the young people know about the project, there is little time to do sport activities, clean-ups, fieldtrips...

henko

Admin

@ rici - I am very positive about promoting our project !

promote project:
Zula & I have made fantastic contacts with local Inuit people & trust me ( as the MNP yeps also said) the kids will find us once yeps are there!

we allready spoke to schools in nunavut, I facebooked them, we have teachers in our network & "foreigner" bloggers who live there as well.

oh yeah - we also have the contact details of the local nunavut online newspaper

so advertising our event is not a problem!

time in nunavut:

summer = 24 hours sunlight.... so LOTS of time hahaha!

@ Zula - i read that some schools start begin Aug & others mid-Aug.
expedition 1 - 21 Aug (about), so schools will be open while yeps there

Project timeline: it all depends when yeps arrive in community ( but 1st a introduce ourselves /social / meet outreach )
if there for 3 days:

get a YEP display in school entrance hall before kids arrive to make them excited
day 1 - social outreach/ meet ( exchange our cultures)
late morning - cultural exchange in school class - geography/ cultures from yep countries
afternoon - learn from them in field ( berrie picking / fishing / trapping)
evening - sport activity in their halls (promote healthy living)

day 2 - now they know us better so we give eco tips
morning - 3R from Hang / school class interaction
afternoon - fieldtrip to dumpsite & cleanup
evening - sport

day 3 -
morning - water pollution (Geberit stuff) talks / school class interaction
afternoon - fieldtrip with kids (learning from them about survival on the land )
evening - cultural outreach ( games/ inuit dance/ traditional "talent" sharing (very informal)

ice swim / art could fit in between (not everybody will be at same place at same time - i think- i mean all kids have different interests?

I dont think we can spend the whole morning in the school
YEps to visit local elders /parents/ business - As MNP yeps said, they were all invited to talk & spend time with local, so we dont organise this- it will just happen!

art: thanks Zula - ice art is one option, but this may be an idea/task to give to a local artist to help raise awareness on global warming - in the beginning of our expedition there may still be floating ice in some areas.
but
http://eyeonthearctic.rcinet.ca/en/news/canada/46-culture/239-melting-iceberg-sinks-sculpture-project
gave me the idea...

"return to sender" - is there any reason not to start it before camp?
PenPal - schools have now closed for their summer holiday Sad , but i think it would be great to go to cammp with invites from some kids asking camp yeps to be their PenPal ??

OK, enough from me - what do you girls think?

Rici

Admin

HENKO: Cool...but we can do some sports in the morning and not only in the evening? Perhaps they will be tired after such a day=)
Day 1 is perfect I think. All other days belongs to how many days we heve there...so we can add other activities (water safety, extreme sport...)

- Zula said I should comment something and add my thoughts about it, so I did:

Arctic Active Aqua

Inuit lives revolve around water. Drowning is the cause of death of many Inuit. Water is the source of Life.
My idea is to use water as the base theme for different topics ( water pollution / safety/ water purification/ sanitation / water fun for healthy living / use water sport for social interaction & exposing kids to enviornmental issues / )

The Arctic Active Aqua Project aims to be a Social Outreach project to :

• build An eco-friendly community
• build Inuit youth self-esteem (how do you want to do this…with sport or games…?)
• encourage An active lifestyle ( it should be enduring, that they learn to live the active lifestyle for themselves, after the YEPy were leaving)
• encourage through Rolemodel examples ( important)
• build Confident Inuit youth as future leaders
• build Lasting international relationships

The Social Outreach can be Before, During & After the YEP expedition to Nunavut through:

• YEP’s school – Nunavut school contact ( giving same Geography / Biology lesson tasks & exchange it afterwards) (good idea, but the schools have to include this “subject” into their curriculum)
• Pen Pal Program with YEPs ( to help Inuit with English/ French as 2nd language & make the Inuit youth feel that they have a role in society)
• Invitations to join YEP community website / faceboook
Fun activities Water :
Water safety ( many YEPs swim )
• Basic lifesaving techniques Ice safety
• Boat safety - PFD / kayak turning techniques when capsized
• hypothermia treatment (a specialist is needed for this, so there must be a YEP who swims on the expedition)
Water Fun ( healthy living)
Aqua aerobics for adults
• Fun water games to make kids water safe
• Pool game equipment sponsorships
• Kayak exploring (use as transport to field trip) (something like that is interesting for kids)
• Learning traditional water based hunting/ fishing (the locals learn from us or the YEOs learn from the locals?)
• Organising YEP Extreme Explorer Team event (fun way to get kids active in a group) (nice)
o Tri-athlon ( bike, swim(indoor pool), run) or Traditional events such as "spear a target/ catch a fish/ trap a bird " ) (many stuff is needed for this, bikes, pool…and where should they run/cycle?)
o Survivor game (great)
Water as source of Life (Inter-active talks @ schools )
Fresh vs bottled water (pollution)
• Hydropower options in local areas
• Poster project on water
• Sanitation lessons including Geberit technologies
(only talks or with an active part like fieldtrip to a polluted lake..)
Global warming:
• Melting Arctic Ice
• Human Polar Bear Ice Swim ( 5degree Celsius ocean swim to raise awareness on effects of global warming – people can now swim there) (you mean they swim in the water there…funny)
• Arctic Art on Ice ( create a work of art that will “disappear” with the melting ice it stands on – get before, during, after photos & post in media) (great idea)
• Message in a bottle ( YEPs & Inuit youth put paper in recycled bottles with position co-ordinates of launch site & asking for “finder” of bottle to contact them with “find” position co-ordinates. Also have a personal message for finder in the bottle.) (what do you want to effect/change with this?)
Recycling
• Inter-active fun activities @ school
• Making art
• Presents (What do you mean with this…presents for kids?)
• Stuff you can use @ home
 Organise recycle bins & tin compressors @ school
 Litter bins in streets (It´s a problem because of the animals)
 How to use recycled materials in building construction
 Sport equipment ( YEPs schools/ clubs to donate to Nunavut )
Waste management
• Geberit adive on recycling water/waste
 Food waste worm bins ( to provide compost for growing fresh plant/food)
 Poo Power (don’t laugh, it’s a possibility ! Dog & human poo can be used for methane based energy sources in stead of current diesel energy…)
Greenhouse
• Create a community wellness centre where they can inter-act & see the fruit of their labour & feel good about themselves (is this necessary?)
 Grow fresh produce ( a very scarce & expensive item in Nunavut)
Problems:
• Previous recycling projects have failed ( not high enough financial rewards , recycled goods need to be flown out of Nunavut )
• All goods/ packaging is brought into Nunavut , few goes out. There is no manufacturing plants in Nunavut, so who will use recycled materials?
• Inuit kids don’t like structured learning (but they should learn to learn in that way)
• Not active in mornings (play outside till 2am in morning during summer)
• Pool availability ( swimming is VERY popular in Nunavut) (why is it a problem then?)
• Pool game equipment
• Greenhouse cost of building (seek Nunavut Dept of Agriculture government subsidy)
Needs:
Local Community Recreational Officers to help YEPs in planning project activities
• Pool fun games equipment
• Geberit & water posters
• Active YEPs with swim / lifesaving / ice swim experience (locals should learn it from the YEPs, so they can do it afterwards, like a “swim course” for adults)
• Fun recycling ideas
• Tin compressors
• Worms
• Litter bins
• Internationally:
• host extreme events in Arctic – art / sport ( media loves it! )
o YEP website
 Logo / art competition for Project
 T-shirt design contest
 Photo contest (for what do you need contests, it`s only more costs?! It´s not necessary)
o Facebook
o YEPs local schools (geography & biology class projects)
o Media ( tv, radio, newspapers, blogs, travel- , sport & eco magazines )
• Nunavut:
• Posters in community
o Local radio
o Facebook page
o School / PenPal Program
o Inuit schools logo art contest for project
Fundraising:
• Internationally
• YEP website to get an On-line donation link to specific
• o YEP individual fundraising events
o Pangaea sponsors
o Speedo ( for swim goggles for Inuit kids)
• Nunavut:
“Bust & Bail” event in Nunavut
o Local businesses for example
 Arctic co-op
 Sealift
 Mining companies
 Nunavut Government

(local fundraising is one of the most important things, they shouldn´t be addicted to the sponsors of the PANGAEA project, the project in Nunavut should work autonomous)

Ok, these are my thoughts about it…what do you think?

Zula

Admin

Hey, hey!What a contribution in our work!
I would like to add:
1) Before the Expedition: writing to locals, advertising campaign. We should involve local media, schools... once we know where will the Expedition take place, we will get some basic info on the village/town as well, so things like shops, gov institutions and contact them directly.
2) Day 1: social outreach/ meet ( exchange our cultures)
  • late morning - cultural exchange in school class - geography/ cultures from yep countries

• afternoon - learn from them in field ( berrie picking / fishing / trapping)

• evening - sport activity in their halls (promote healthy living)

3) Day 2 - now they know us better so we give eco tips
  • morning - 3R from Hang / school class interaction

• afternoon - field trip to dump site & cleanup

• evening - sport

4) Day 3 - we are becoming friends and it's already time to say goodbye. Let's leave a great impression!
  • morning - water pollution (Geberit stuff) talks / school class interaction - this should be dedicated to older youths, what about inviting parents?

• afternoon - field trip with kids (learning from them about survival on the land )it might take us much longer than just the afternoon: my proposition is to divide the team and some would stay at school to talk about water, while the others spend almost whole day in the wild?

• evening - cultural outreach ( games/ Inuit dance/ traditional "talent" sharing (very informal)This is a great idea! It's not only an exchange of two cultures, the Young Explorers are from all over the world and can prepare their dances as well!

One more thing: please, give me your opinion on what I would like to be one of the aims of our project- popularizing education in Nunavut by showing that it organises cool activities, teach useful skills, that international projects are under school patronage. Do you think that 3 days of our stay in a community, activities we would provide, programs we would start might induce a change?

edit (Rici posted her thoughts while I was writing Smile ) : Building self-esteem in young Inuits is extremely important in my opinion. If you read my research summary, you will notice I was writing about inadequate job skills of older Inuits, they giant problems with finding a job, poverty. I think that youths see that their traditional world is receding and have no self-confidence. By showing them how much we value their culture, how interesting it is we might help build their self-esteem.

Och, and I love the idea of giving invitations to join a PenPal program! This could be done on the last evening Smile I'm offering to design them!

henko

Admin

@ rici - i respond to your comments below Smile

HENKO: Cool...but we can do some sports in the morning and not only in the evening? Perhaps they will be tired after such a day=) No, they play till 2hoo outside (24hr sun) , then sleep late - thats what the local told me
Day 1 is perfect I think. All other days belongs to how many days we heve there...so we can add other activities (water safety, extreme sport...)

- Zula said I should comment something and add my thoughts about it, so I did:

Arctic Active Aqua

• build Inuit youth self-esteem (how do you want to do this…with sport or games…?) OK most important to show them ( by being interested in their culture with personal talks with them)we value their traditional lifestyle & culture. They must feel of use & not "thrown away" . Tell them they are not the only people in the world suffering - remember I live in Africa. Africa=poverty...

• encourage An active lifestyle ( it should be enduring, that they learn to live the active lifestyle for themselves, after the YEPy were leaving)Also please google Kugluktuk Grizzlies - a movie was made about this successful team - kids had to have like 80 % school attendance to take part & got many other priviliges. I personally believe all kids should get the opportunity to participate in sport. The local kids do not get many opportunities to compete against other teams. We can play with them. We can start to recycle sport equipment to them (tabletennis bats & balls/ hockey sticks/swim goggles/etc. Learn teamwork & lifeskills through sport - believe me, I am passionate about this topic!

• encourage through Rolemodel examples ( important) tell them our stories of commitment & results we can achieve by working hard / finish school/ use talents. What would be awesome is a local heroe to join us (i got his name somewhere -it all depends where we go)

• YEP’s school – Nunavut school contact ( giving same Geography / Biology lesson tasks & exchange it afterwards) (good idea, but the schools have to include this “subject” into their curriculum) . No subject to add - say my Biology class get a project on global warming in africa, we do it , ask Nunavut class to do it on GW in Arctic - then exchange results via internet/ discuss in class. A great way to inter-act & this is something these kids could look forward to - if they know tomorroow we are getting a email from a school in Africa & we can see what other kids did on the same project, will this not excite them? I think so - also I got VERY positive feedback on this from Nunavut headmasters !

• hypothermia treatment (a specialist is needed for this, so there must be a YEP who swims on the expedition) There is always a doctor with yeps on expedition. Anyboday can also learn new skills... i would offer to do this should i be selected Smile

• Kayak exploring (use as transport to field trip) (something like that is interesting for kids) agreed - feedback showed the kids want to go out in the field...

• Learning traditional water based hunting/ fishing (the locals learn from us or the YEOs learn from the locals?) yeps learn from locals/ we discuss our way of doing it / show respect for their methods - make them feel good!

• Organising YEP Extreme Explorer Team event (fun way to get kids active in a group) (nice)

o Tri-athlon ( bike, swim(indoor pool), run) or Traditional events such as "spear a target/ catch a fish/ trap a bird " ) (many stuff is needed for this, bikes, pool…and where should they run/cycle?) my research has shown most kids there have bicycles , 7 communities have pools , run - there are gravel roads ! for traditional tri-athlon = the local have everything we need???

o Survivor game (great)

(only talks or with an active part like fieldtrip to a polluted lake..) prefer out in field / there are polluted streams near communties

Global warming:
• Melting Arctic Ice
• Human Polar Bear Ice Swim ( 5degree Celsius ocean swim to raise awareness on effects of global warming – people can now swim there) (you mean they swim in the water there…funny) No. once again, this is an example what I can do should i be selected. Plse see my YEP profile = ice swimmer/ lifeguard... & google Lewis Pugh . Other yeps hve other strange talents - maybe we can use some of their skills ( parkouring / singing/ dancing , whatever).

• Arctic Art on Ice ( create a work of art that will “disappear” with the melting ice it stands on – get before, during, after photos & post in media) (great idea)

• Message in a bottle ( YEPs & Inuit youth put paper in recycled bottles with position co-ordinates of launch site & asking for “finder” of bottle to contact them with “find” position co-ordinates. Also have a personal message for finder in the bottle.) (what do you want to effect/change with this?) No change, but to help research on ocean currents & its a fun way to get local kids involved with research - they can look forward to finding a bottle with a message & helping = feel usefull. MH Pangaea will have researchers that do these kind of things - Dr Roswitha Stolz??? can you contact her about this idea please?
[/color]
Recycling

• Presents (What do you mean with this…presents for kids?) kids can learn how to make presents with recylced stuff, not necessary to buy...they are VERY poor. Let them feel usefull...

Greenhouse
• Create a community wellness centre where they can inter-act & see the fruit of their labour & feel good about themselves (is this necessary?) VERY necessary. there is no fresh food/fruit. check out my link to Iqualut Greenhouse fb page. But this is too big for us now. I think its more the "foreigner" who live in Nunavut who would run this. Inuits are not agricultural type...

Problems:

• Inuit kids don’t like structured learning (but they should learn to learn in that way) we cannot change their way of life. they like to learn on the land (to be honest, me too!!!

• Pool availability ( swimming is VERY popular in Nunavut) (why is it a problem then?) because we do not know to which community the trip will be. Not all communities have a pool. I have list of places with pools & we can organise this if the project idea get selected.

Needs:

 Photo contest (for what do you need contests, it`s only more costs?! It´s not necessary) i suggested this for YEP website. To get other yeps interested. Absolutely no cost - prize can be a YEP tshirt/ arm bracelet or MH book...

Fundraising:

(local fundraising is one of the most important things, they shouldn´t be addicted to the sponsors of the PANGAEA project, the project in Nunavut should work autonomous) I agree, i am also not 1 for just giving & giving, but the yep project is short (maybe 3 days), we can ask local business like the co-op for sponsored "prizes" if needed . Flying in of sport equipment - First Air to sponsor. I dont think we need a big budget??

Ok, these are my thoughts about it…what do you think? can you maybe add some new ideas / other activities??
[i]

Last edited by henko on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

21Group members proposals for possible projects Empty @ zula Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:08 pm

henko

Admin

I agree - project subject / objective can be to 1) promote healthy living 2) encourage school attendance with fun activities & showing what you can achieve in life 3)eco stuff.

i think i covered most thoughts in my above answer to rici.

Please google kugluktuk grizzlies & how effective this idea was to raise school attendance.

Thats why I think to organise a sport equipment recycle program would be great - there is never enough equipment at these schools. YEps take so much for granted i think. Africa schools are exactly the same - kids are bored, no sport, drugs. etc...

using sport + project = me... Smile other yeps have other skills & talents to use & thats also great! we should try & combine all of these?

phoebe

Admin

thax for all of ur contribution today Mad Mad

some of my comment:

+ from my experience: we need a long term project, it means not only do we operate the project during the exp, but we need strategy to lengthen it, such as: open a Environment club in school, traine volunteers in Nunavut, these volunteers will organize events (eco class, field trip day) each weeks, combine with some youth union there...

+ I agree with 3 topics:
healthy lifestyle (water theme, sanitary issues)
increase the number of students
eco stuff (we can print some funny eco bag for children, exhibition)

+ Sport competition: maybe it is possible if we organize in school scale, not in the whole scale. but competition needs time and energy, Im afraid of that we cant cover it due to our lack of experiment

+ Penpal totally looks like my schedule of Green class
but they r different in the method of solving problem

Rici

Admin

Thx Henko for your information...now it is clear for me!

Henko: I don´t have the mail-adress of Roswitha Stolz...but you cen send it to me so I can inform her about the "idea of the bottle".

ideas to add:

+ info day fo parents: how to subsist in a healthy way. Because of diabetes, heart attacks and other illnesses depending on food. (e.g. no fast food, more vegetables)

+ teambuilding games: I know some games you need little equipment, but too comlicated to explain now..hope you understand

+ develop local leaders: one or two persons can help the YEPs to organise their part and learn in that way to lead the project. Volenteers are needed n advance.

Zula

Admin

A little gift for you, Rici: http://www.geographie.uni-muenchen.de/department/fiona/personen/index.php?personen_details=1&user_id=15 - you will find even the telephone number of mrs. Roswitha Stolz there Smile

- I would disagree with the idea of 'diet talk' with the parents. I think that their nutrition problems are first of all - insufficient amounts of food (they live in extreme poverty, as I wrote already: in 2001 virtually half of Nunavut households experienced food insecurity without sufficient food to eat because of a lack of money), unverified sources of food (animals killed for meat are not examined etc) and problems with getting fresh food (delivery mainly in summer). They also suffer from different diseases due to habitat conditions: I have hared that a real problem is frequent ear infections among kids, that lead to serious hearing problems.
- team building games - always! I think we can attach it to evening sport activities Smile
- the idea of asking a few local youths for help is great. We can reach them through schools, what do you think?

phoebe

Admin

I already searched for some contact of youth union in Nunavut, and wrote emails to ask them if they can help us.

1>The National Inuit Youth Council (NIYC)

The National Inuit Youth Council partners with the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami in supporting and bridging communication gaps among the Inuit youth, and work with their elders and partners in preserving the Inuit language and culture. It also seeks to provide youth with opportunities in their education and careers. It is made up of Youth Coordinators and Youth Representatives from each of the six Inuit regions across Canada (Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, Qikiqtani, Kivalliq, Kitikmeot and Inuvialuit).
Canada
Contact Information

Tel : 613-238-8181

E-mail: jtologanak@niyc.ca

2> Nunavut Youth Consulting (NYC)

Nunavut Youth Consulting operates a number of literacy projects in Arctic Bay and across Nunavut. Nunavut Youth Consulting helps their community by volunteering time to other organizations, to continue to be positive role models and to encourage other youth. It also seeks to help youth to build confidence, to learn business and job skills and to continue to learn through experience and travel.

Canada
Contact Information

Nunavut Youth Consulting
P.O. Box 141
Arctic Bay,Nunavut
XOA OAO
Phone: (867) 439-8022
Fax: (867) 439-8393

E-mail: nunavutyouth@hotmail.com
Notes

Contact Person: Ron Elliott, Chairperson
Work Phone: (867) 439-9913
Email: relliott.ab@polarland.com

3> The Inuit Circumpolar Youth Council (ICYC)

The Inuit Circumpolar Youth Council is the youth council of the Inuit Circumpolar Conference (ICC). It advocates for the goals of ICC to promote Inuit rights and interests, strengthening Inuit ties in the Circumpolar region and promoting long-term polices that protect the Arctic environment.
Circumpolar
Contact Information

170 Laurier Avenue West, Suite 504
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5V5
Tel : (613) 563-2642
Fax : (613) 565-3089

E-mail: icc@inuitcircumpolar.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: